Sunday, February 7, 2016

Growing a Farmer - First Reflection

When I started to read Growing a Farmer, I was fascinated how Kurt Timmermeister enjoys the small things in life.  For example, Timmermeister mentioned, "If that reader looks at carrots at the farmers' market next weekend and marvels at their existence, picks them up and smells the earth that they had come from hours before, that would bring a smile to my face."  I also enjoyed to read that his wish was if one day he will become old not to be financially rich - but to own fruit trees that produce fruit.  When I continued to read the book, I realized that the switch Timmermeister made, from living in the city to becoming a farmer, is a wish that many people have.  For example, my family and I were born and raised in a city, but I remember that it always has been my fathers wish, that we all move to live next to farm.

While reading chapter 5, I found it interesting to read about "rotational grazing."  I have never heard this term before, but learned that it is a process of moving grazing livestock between pastures.  Timmermeister explains that the goal with using rotational grazing is that, "..the animals take the best of the pasture and leave it in a state healthy enough to quickly regrow."  When I continued to read into the next chapter, I read and learned about SCC - the somatic cell count; which is an indicator of the quality of milk.  Furthermore, Timmermeister explained that a low number of SCC indicates a high degree of infection.  I also learned that Mastitis is the most common disease among cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment